- 1.5 litres of good quality cider
- 400ml of apple juice
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp of all spice
- 3-4 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2 apples – sliced into 5mm rounds
1. Pour the cider, apple juice and the juice of the orange into a large saucepan, and gently heat to mull.
2. Add the orange zest, allspice, cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves and vanilla pod to the mixture & stir well. Bring to a simmer, then turn down and keep on a low heat for 20-30 mins, or pour in to a slow cooker and keep on a low heat. Ladle into mugs as your guests arrive.
Want to keep the mulled cider warm all evening? Once prepared, leave on a low heat in the slow cooker and prepare a ‘help yourself’ mulled cider bar, complete with ladle, sugar lumps or honey, additional fruit and for the brave, why not let them add a dash of bourbon or brandy. This way guests can help themselves and customise their drink to their own tastes.