Sometimes it can seem like a struggle to shoehorn in five portions of fruit or vegetables a day so these chocolatey little beauties are practically a necessity in your lunchbox. The addition of beetroot sounds a little strange but actually you can’t particularly taste it, it just adds a wonderfully moist element to the muffins. Even better, my 13 year old son made them, so all I had to do was buy the ingredients 🙂
Ingredients (makes 12)
250g cooked beetroot (not in vinegar!)
180g self-raising flour
125g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
200ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Blitz the beetroot to a smooth puree in a food processor, then add the oil, eggs and vanilla essence and blend again.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Tip in the beetroot mix and stir everything togethre until just combined.
- Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until springy when pressed.
- Dust with a little icing sugar to serve!