Wednesday is known as Moofin Wednesday in our house, as it is the day that I have a rummage through the fruit bowl/fridge and see what elderly items need either cooking or throwing to the chickens.
This has to be one of the best muffin recipes ever, as the basic instructions are just a starting place for your own ingenuity. No faffing about weighing ingredients, a brief mix until everything is combined and very little washing-up… what’s not to like?
Basic recipe (makes 12)
2 cups self-raising flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup white sugar
1 cup milk
¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 ripe mashed bananas and 150g chopped dark chocolate
- Peeled apple chunks, roughly chopped walnuts and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Blueberries and 1 teaspoon of almond essence. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with some flaked almonds if you have any, or add in some little pieces of marzipan..
- Raspberries and 150g of dark chocolate, chopped into rough chunks.
- Churros muffins (our favourite combination so far); poke a chunk of dark chocolate into the centre of the muffin before you bake it. Once it has cooked and is still warm, roll the top in melted butter and then dip in cinnamon sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a muffin pan with 12 paper cases.
- Measure the sugar, flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Mix the milk, egg and oil together and then tip over the dry ingredients.
- Add your extra flavourings and stir together until everything is just about combined (do not over mix as this will make the muffins tougher), and then spoon into the cases.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden.